Outreach CommitteeThe Saint Paul’s Outreach Committee works to improve lives in our community, focusing specifically on issues of hunger and homelessness. Our outreach ministries include:
We pursue and maintain close relationships between our church members and local charities working to combat these issues, and offer grants to assist non-profits in their life-giving work.
- January: We celebrate the Martin Luther King Day of Service by hosting a Stop Hunger Now dinner. Parishioners and families of all ages produce over 15,000 meals for the hungry in just two hours!
- March and April: Grant applications reviewed for the year. The success of our Annual Rummage Sale, allows us to to give numerous grants organizations serving the hungry and homeless directly.
- April or May: We host homeless families in the church for Interfaith Hospitality Month through the Philadelphia Interfaith Hospitality Network. Volunteers can work shifts as dinner hosts for the families, stay overnight or even read stories to the children.
Summer and Fall
- June – September: We prepare for our hugely successful Annual Rummage Sale, held on the first Saturday after Labor Day. A dedicated core of volunteers powers this massive effort. The proceeds from the Sale are used to support the Outreach Committee’s grant program, through which we fund local groups working to combat hunger and homelessness.
- Advent Sale: Our grant recipients and parishioners sell or display holiday items in the Parish Hall.
- December: We offer a Christmas Giving Tree where Saint Paul’s friends and parishioners can honor holiday requests for items needed by the children and adults our non-profit partners work with. Our committee also organizes the annual parish Advent Sale, where grant recipients and parishioners sell or display holiday items in the Parish Hall.
Each year, the Saint Paul’s Outreach Committee awards numerous grants to organizations. The funds for these grants are raised each year from our Annual Rummage Sale event, which is held on the first Saturday after Labor Day. To learn more about some of our previous awardees, click the links below:
- Aid for Friends
- Broad Street Ministries
- Chestnut Hill Meals on Wheels
- Church of the Advocate
- Community Outreach Partnership
- DePaul House
- Episcopal Community Services- St. Barnabas Mission
- St Vincent’s Food Cupboard
- Face to Face
- Host for Hospitals
- House of Grace Catholic Workers
- Interfaith Hospitality Network
- Old First Reformed United Church
- Teen Challenge
- Welcome Church
- Whosoever Gospel Mission