Children, Youth, and Families Ministry Coordinator
Position Description, Saint Paul’s Church, Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, PA – October, 2017
- To provide leadership to children, youth, and families that guides them further in their spiritual growth and understanding in their daily lives.
- To support lay persons of Saint Paul’s in their ministry with Godly Play©, Youth, and Parents Exchange (our Parents’ group).
- To recruit volunteers, and oversee, support, and manage the operations of the above ministries.
Saint Paul’s is a vibrant church committed to proclaiming the gospel through worship and ministry, as individuals and as a congregation. Our mission is to create Christ’s peace through spiritual nourishment and service to the world. We are a church of approximately 500 members with an average Sunday attendance of 242. There are 90 children spread between nursery, Godly Play, and Youth ministries. The parish annual budget is $925,000.
NATURE AND SCOPE
The CYF (Children, Youth, and Families) Ministry Coordinator is a full-time, established position with benefits (insurance, and pension in year 2), and an efficiency apartment on campus if desired. Full-time staff include the Rector, Administrator, Music Director, and Capital Campaign Facilitator. At Saint Paul’s we believe that children have an innate sense of the presence of God. Godly Play is a Montessori approach to faith stories, gaining for participants religious language, and enhancing their spiritual experiences through wonder and play (which is children’s work). Youth engage in a lifelong journey of questioning, exploring, and discovering together. Confirmation, Rite 13, service to others, and fellowship all offer an arena to find support and grace in their encounter with each other and God. The CYF Ministry Coordinator is accountable to the Rector, manages budget responsibilities, and works collegially with other staff, volunteers, teachers, youth group advisors, and parents.
- Godly Play Church School
- Godly Play Core Training already attained or to be completed after hiring
- Advanced Training in Godly Play is a positive
- Oversee goals and structure of church school
- Recruit, support, and guide teachers (storytellers and door persons)
- Support and empower parents as teachers of the Christian faith with their own children
- Secure supplies and materials
- Management of Godly Play environments
- Youth Ministry
- Nurture and support the Saint Paul’s youth group
- Oversee Rite 13 (Junior High)
- Organize and engage with students around Confirmation
- Plan, and fund-raise for, the High School mission trip to the Standing Rock Reservation of the Sioux Tribe
- Coordinate efforts with St. Peter’s Church, Glenside as they partner with us on our mission trip
- Family Ministry
- Relate to and support Parents’ Exchange
- Assist with the Christmas Pageant and other children’s liturgies
- Coordinate with the Director of Music in offering support to the Choristers
- Coordinate with various Outreach ministries to involve children as desired
- Oversee nursery care; supervise paid nursery attendants
- Provide leadership by teaching and supporting – not doing; provide hospitality and pastoral leadership
- Communicate Children, Youth, and Family ministries with Parish leadership, congregation, and community. Provide information in a timely manner for parish announcements and public advertising.
- Participate in staff meetings, appropriate committee meetings, leadership gatherings so that initiatives and programs are fully coordinated with the rest of parish life
- Be a good steward of finances and resources for Children, Youth, and Family Ministries
- Welcome people not yet involved in the life of Saint Paul’s to join in ministry and spiritual nourishment. Explore opportunities to bring Godly Play into the community.
- Cover letter
- Complete contact information
To be considered for this position please email all documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about Saint Paul’s visit our website: http://stpaulschestnuthill.org
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Smoke-Free Workplace
Saint Paul’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified persons are encouraged to apply regardless of their religious affiliation, race, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.